Thursday, April 11, 2013

M4/A1 Familiarization Shoot & "Zero"

Today we began our rifle training.  The initial part of this training was familiarization with the M4/A1, its components, and how to "zero" (set the sights to shoot accurately from a distance of 300m).

Because I have a prescription for eyeglasses I was instructed to shoot with my prescription inserts.  After expending approximately 40 rounds trying to zero my weapon, I ditched my inserts and shot without them.  I immediately zeroed my weapon in my first six shots (see below).  The goal was to hit the inner ring of the target 5/6 times and hit the dark part of the target with all six shots.  The target is designed to replicate a target at a distance of 300m.  However, rather than shoot from 300m, we shoot from 25m.  The image below will hopefully clarify what I have otherwise articulated inartfully.


Note that this is only the preliminary portion of our rifle qualifications.  Hopefully, I'll be able to qualify as an expert (like I did with the M9 [9mm]) tomorrow. 

Best,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment