Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Battle JAG - Phase 1.5

In the evolutionary process that is "mobilization" I am coming to the sobering revelation that the current threat in Afghanistan will not likely be negated by my ability to shoot a weapon.  Rather, my ability to negate the threat will depend on a keen sense of situational awareness concerning my physical surroundings.  My understanding is that the biggest threat to NATO and US personnel is that of Improvised Explosive Devices (IED). in short, IED's are similar to land mines except that they can be activated in a variety of ways and are designed to destroy a multitude of targets (personnel, vehicles, etc.).  It has been very enlightening to learn of all the various ways in which Afghan insurgents (Taliban, Al Qaeda, etc.) are targeting coalition forces.  Nonetheless, I continue to soak up as much of the information being taught to me (and my fellow Navy and Air Force classmates) as well as honing my weapons skills to ensure my safety during this deployment.  For your viewing pleasure (what good is a dissertation without at least one visual aid) here is a recent picture of me and my M4/A1 rifle, which has yet to be given a name as "Excalibur" has already been taken by my roommate LTJG Greg "Blue Falcon" Melville.


2 comments:

  1. Ben, great post.

    what is the yellow cap at the end of the gun barrel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a "blank firing adapter" that is used when we fire blanks for training exercises. The photo was not taken during range training. It's just a photo that was taken during an exercise where we were going to receive blanks. Note that there isn't a magazine loaded in the weapon.

    Glad you're enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete