Friday, March 1, 2013

A Time of Transition

Today was the first day of my leave of absence from my civilian employer, Newmeyer & Dillion, LLP, as I begin the final preparations for my recall to active duty in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.  As a reserve judge advocate in the United States Navy you never know when your country will call upon you to serve, but you are always ready and willing.  In support of my being ready, Nemweyer & Dillion held a send-off a couple of evenings ago and I received some gifts to ensure a safe and effective deployment to Afghanistan.  You'll note that the gifts have United States Marine Corps ("USMC") emblematics.  This is because of the dominant USMC presence at my law firm.  It is also worth noting that it was retired Brigadier General Francis ("Frank") Quinlan (USMC) who provided me with the following fantastic items (shown below):
  • USMC pillow with my name and picture on it...just to make sure that I know which one is mine;
  • USMC wine glass and a bottle of Jar Head Red Reserve for the wardroom (though I believe I will leave this stateside to avoid having to place it in the "amnesty box" as I arrive);
  • Fitness Magazine (G-rated Cover Shown so as to comply with some recent HR training);
  • USMC wheelbook with camouflage cover to ensure I take proper notes on weapons handling during my Expeditionary Combat Readiness Course;
  • Stocking Cap for those cold nights in Kabul/Kandahar/Bagram or anywhere else I am sent;
  • KA-BAR knife (which will actually be worn as I'm not going to leave anything to chance); and
  • USMC aviator's helmet bag which will be used as a briefcase in theatre by me.
In closing, I just want to say thanks to all of the support that I have received thus far from Newmeyer & Dillion, my friends and family as I embark on this all-inclusive paid vacation to Afghanistan.

LCDR Ben Ammerman, JAGC, USN

3 comments:

  1. Goodluck Ben! Hope to keep in touch with you when you're back! - Jerel Agatep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerel...see you in a year. - Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben, I'm a paralegal from the WCO. Just so you don't think N&D is only full of the USMC, I'm an Army vet. Army Strong!!

    ReplyDelete